As the golfing season comes towards an end at Laytown & Bettystown Golf Club, the 18 holes competitions will be replaced by 9 holes events for the next few months to ensure as many players as possible can participate during daylight hours with the members playing for turkeys, hams and hampers.
All of the club match play events run off over the summer months have now concluded and the 2021 winners have been presented with their trophies and prizes.
- The Wickham Trophy sponsored by the Wickham Family was won by the pairing of Frank Walsh & Louise McAuley.
- Killian Duffy was the winner of The Nancy Cup sponsored by Stephen Murphy Printers.
- Wayne Gallagher won the McDonnell Cup sponsored by North Dublin Commercials.
- Calor Gas (Oliver O’Sullivan) sponsored the Club Foursomes which was won by John McGinn & Gary Tierney.
- Alan Mullen & David Donnery claimed the Club Four Ball sponsored by Pat Rooney.
- The winner of the Men’s Club Championship, kindly sponsored by the O’Brien family, was Cian Geraghty .
- Bart Broderick was awarded the trophy of Club Golfer of the Year for 2021. This competition is sponsored annually by Robt. B. Daly & Sons, Drogheda.
All the main trophies and prizes were presented to players at a specially arranged awards evening held at the front of the clubhouse a few weeks ago.
Outgoing club Captains Gerry Wickham and Ann Bellew as well as Presidents John Walsh and Ann Delany were delighted to be present to present some of the awards.
Monthly Medal Winners James Bentley, Paul Brassil, Greg Leahy, Anthony Cowley and Rodney Keogh also received their awards at this ceremony.
The annual Winter League has just concluded with this event being kindly sponsored by Jack Doran Motors, Drogheda, in recent years and it is always keenly contested. The competition is played over 5 weeks in September and October and this year’s winners are –
- Division 1 – Colin Martin
- Division 2 – Cormac Greene
- Division 3 – Mark Grogan
Finally, congratulations to the L&B junior boys who were stars of the Leinster Boys Interprovincial Championship team which claimed this year’s title at Mount Wolseley Golf Club – well done to Daniel McKenna, Jack McKenna and Adam Fahy.
- Bart Broderick & Marie McAuley at the L&B Awards Presentation Evening
- Competition sponsor, Oliver O’Sullivan, Homestore, Bettystown presents John McGinn with his prize.
- Paddy Casey – overall winner of the Peter Lyons Cup Shield presented with the trophy by Captain Gerry Wickham
- Alan Mullen being presented with his prize by sponsor Pat Rooney
- David Garbutt is presented with the Delany Cup by Michael Delany